WestWood PTC June Meeting Minutes – 06/04/19, 6:30pm
Attendees: Karen Zwolenski, Amy Zwart, Nichole Meyer, Brian Schultz, Jessica Olstad, Rachel Carlson
Approval of May 2019 meeting Minutes:
Amy motioned to approve, Rachel seconded.
Principal Update (Karen):
- Thank you to PTC: Thank you for the hard work during the year! It is much appreciated.
- End of year: The end of the year is going well, many field trips, celebrations, track and field days. Mr. Larson really felt bad about the weather and he organized a half day track and field day. Wednesday is Grade 1-4 day. Kindergarten graduation and all school meeting will focus celebrating Mr. Tressel. It has been an incredible year and we are very grateful. Thank you Mr. Tressel for all you have shared with us!! We will miss you!
Treasurer Report/Budget Update (Amy):
- Current balance – See budget detail and treasurer report
- Draft of budget for next year– See budget detail. Estimate of line items for next year was discussed in detail.
- Restaurant nights – Wendys was our most successful over half of the total.
- Games by James: We were successful, over $800 was earned.
- Funding requests – Flexible seating discussion. Mrs. Z put together a 3 step plan for this. Step 1 and 2 we can put money towards. Step 3 we could start working toward with the Read – A – Thon next year. The steps will be to build for each classroom subsequently. Currently, the total is $16,138 for step 1 and 2 and there are other funds, also to go toward that from another source. Jess made a motion to approve Step 1 and 2 for flexible seating. Brian seconded.
- Student benefit dollars – The teachers had a December date to use the money by. It was asked why do they not have all year to use it? Mrs. Z noted that they have to finish by March typically and she prefers that teachers spend early so they plan ahead. She also emphasized that they need to be intentional with what they need for the school year.
- Clare Presly will officially transition to the new Treasurer role for the 2019-2020 school year.
Discussion topics (Jessica) :
SUG for next year volunteers: We are still hoping to get more. Jess will push through the summer as appropriate.
PTC as thought leaders & project timelines: Jess met w/Mrs. Z last week regarding the future of PTC for next year and shifting of families for next fall based on the boundary changes. How/what do we need to look at differently.
-Thought leaders vs. fundraising
-Bylaws should be revised/refreshed
-How do we use PTC as parental/teacher/children experts and what does that look like?
-Do we have a guest speaker at each meeting?
-What do we wish as parents for the incoming parents?
-Behavior and kids and what to expect
-Organizational tips (invite expert in)
-Advice for living in tech world now
-What do teachers need help with from the parents
-Setting a timeline for the major projects
-Can PTC have or own a SeeSaw account?
School calendar 2019-2020 – Jess will start on that as well as Kirsten needs those dates to put it together. There are some nights (FFN) that we need to coordinate.
Reminder: Next board meeting is next Monday night where they will vote on boundaries.
Back to school night – 08.28.19
Great Start to Kindergarten – 08.06.19 and 08.07.19
It is imperative that we have volunteers to support these ventures. Without them, many of the fun activities we provide throughout the school year for the children would not be possible.
- We have many open positions for next year! Please consider helping, the time commitment is really minimal in the big picture. Many hands make light work!
- Next meeting is TBD, WestWood Media Center
- Rachel motioned to adjourn, Jessica seconded. Motion passed.