WestWood PTC January Meeting Minutes – 01/08/19, 6:30pm
Attendees: Jessica Olstad, Karen Zwolenski, Amy Zwart, Nichole Meyer, Brian Schultz, Rachel Carlson, Becky Smith, Michelle Swenson, Kari Henry, Gina Hendrickson, Lisa Henningsen, Amy Schwingler, Xinyun Zhu.
Approval of December Minutes:
Gina H motioned to approve, Amy seconded.
Principal Update (Karen):
- Update: In the middle of full schedules, many events are going on. We had lockdown w/options drill and it went very well. Three more drills remain this year, the next one at the end of this month. The most recent all school meeting celebrated the 5th graders and their visit to Wolf Ridge. The third week of December the food service had a “Winter Woodland” theme to decorate the cafeteria. January began with the Geography Bee, next week will be the SAGE Geography Bee. The class of 2032 Kindergarten presentation was done as well with a successful group attending. There are choir concerts next week and ESTEM night at the end of the month on 01/31/19 @ 6:30 pm. More information to come.
- Elementary Principal Group: Discussing celebrations across the district. Celebrations have been modified however they are not consistent across the district. At WestWood we don’t worry about costumes, etc. Winter celebrations try to be accessible to all students. February will still be Valentine’s themed however many teachers do a “kindness” theme. As a group, the principals would like to get input from all parents so that there is consistency. They feel that the student experiences should be similar. Mrs. Z is hoping to schedule something during our March meeting to get input from parents, take that, and move forward planning for next year.
- Joint PTC meeting: The principals would like to suggest a joint PTC meeting coming together and doing break out sessions. There will also be an update on the attendance boundaries.
Teachers: Mrs. Henningsen and Mrs. Schwingler were in attendance tonight, thank you for joining us! They discussed that they appreciate the support from the PTC. I Love To Read Month will be Rock-N-Roll theme this year. They are also coordinating Junior Naturalists, which they enjoy, and the kids get really excited about all the activities. They also stated how it is great to get to know the kids and be with them outside of the classroom.
Wolf Ridge: PTC helps to make it possible for all the kids to go to Wolf Ridge. The generosity is much appreciated. Jess asked if we can post some photos on Facebook from Wolf Ridge.
DOGS (Brian) – Brian said that the WestWood D.O.G.S did come to the bean bag tournament. There are still D.O.G.S days happening, the next one is the last Friday of the month. D.O.G.S night is next Monday however it will likely be changed now that football season is ending. Brian doesn’t feel like he has a good solid core group yet, notable to help w/Family Fun Night. Becky was not able to be here but Jess will reach out to her regarding the games and coordinating collecting and setting them up. All of the games are still under investigation and open to suggestions, TBD. Brian would also like to get a sledding/skating afternoon w/hot chocolate if possible as part of the D.O.G.S.
Treasurer Report/Budget Update (Amy):
- Current balance – See budget detail.
- ESTEM – There is money for this and the reptile visitor will be here again this year!
- ILTRM(I Love To Read Month): The funds for this have been allotted along with an author visit.
- RAT-$14,000 came in from Get Movin Crew
- Microscopes were delivered. Amy will check in with Ms.Tindal.
- Flexible seating update. WestWood will lean on Redtail and stage a couple of rooms here to see what seems to fit best and check the options. It will take a long time to figure out the best needs. For now given the cost of flexible seating and the total funds from Read A Thon we will be researching and continue to think of the options.
- Possible shoe recycling fundraiser – Nichole will find and forward for discussion at the next meeting.
- Butter Braids: How many order forms do we need? Top sales may earn lunch with Mrs. Z.
- Restaurant nights: More to come and will be on the calendar. BWW and Davanni’s are set up.
- Funding request – Field trip kinder went to stages theatre
Discussion topics (Jessica) :
Family Fun Night: We need some help. Phone calls, building baskets. Not a lot will change from last year except the balloon lady will have limited menu of options so the line is not as long. We are waiting to hear back from the face painter still. Meetings will be set up for FFN. Let Jess know if you would like to be a part of that. Also, Gina encouraged that teachers can help and sign up as well, as the kids love to have the teachers there.
Michelle asked about the tickets etc,however that will be delegated to someone else. More to come. Family Fun Night this year will be held on 02/22/19.
Round Robin: Amy is very excited that we made it to round robin. 🙂 Following Read A Thon, the Get Movin Crew sent a thank you for our volunteer work. Brian asked about Radon testing at the school, and Mrs. Zwolenski reported that crews have started the monitoring as of this morning. Brian also suggested that the D.O.G.S help with the Junior Naturalist field trips and projects. Rachel has an uncle that could cut wood for the houses as well for a low cost.
- Please help find volunteers for Family Fun Night. Spread the word!
- We also need baskets and donations for FFN, please share!
- Next meeting is Tuesday, 02/05/19 @ 6:30 pm, WestWood Media Center
- Gina motioned to adjourn, Brian seconded. Motion passed.