Westwood PTC – Minutes from February 4, 2020 meeting
In attendance: Rachel Carlson, Clare Presly, Karen Zwolenski, Melissa Campion, Alice Henry, Michelle Swenson
- Welcome, no minutes for approval.
- Principal update: Karen shared that the Westwood Express newsletter went home with children. We chatted a bit about the outdoor learning improvements. That it may be a good idea to slow down changes to outdoor learning until the new staff gets established next year and that Caroline Warner is well versed in outdoor learning and has some ideas for how to improve the space. Possibly hold funds for next year for the outdoor learning equipment and assign specific areas to specific teachers to design and maintain the spaces? Karen has a list for outdoor learning cart supplies.
- Treasurer report:
$1,250 payment of sales tax to MN Dept of State (two BB fundraisers in one year and Crayola Experience sales.)
b. $474.40 2nd grade trip to the Science Museum.
c. $156 kindergarten field trip to Dakotah Village.
d. $40.51 Labels for RAT.
e. $22.97 Labels for RAT.
f. $22.97 Labels for RAT.
a. $80 Refund for overpayment of Student Benefit Dollars.
Total January 2020 Income: $80
Current Bank Balance (1/30/20): $14,471.82
Uncleared checks: $357.50 ($195 Snake Discovery – ESTEM night/$162.50 K field trip to Children’s Theatre)
Final Bank Balance $14,114.32 + cash balance of $40 (School Store)
~ Funding Request of magazines for Ms. Tindal.
- Discussion Topics:
a. RAT website issues. Alexa came with prizes Feb 4. Melissa shared that we are recognizing students by book recommendation rather than name.
b. Butter Braids did well (better than projected) but not quite as much as last year due to the earlier time in the year. Hopefully that means that next year will be even more!
c. DOGS – no DOGS in attendance tonight. Brian asked that I share that the DOGS will be hosting an ice fishing outing on Feb. 16. Melissa suggested that we ask the DOGS to run the games for FFN? A request was made for the DOGS to make “tree cookies” in any quantity and size for Kindergarten. (link: https://files.dnr.state.mn.us/education_safety/education/plt/activity_sheets/treeCookie.pdf)
d. FFN discussion. Presale was brought up. Thoughts are that we need to discuss not only the presale for entry and food but also the possibility of having an “entry fee” vs. activity bracelets. Also, we should have food items rounded to the dollar rather than messing with coins this year. Michelle will not be in town for FFN but will have the squares and Ipads available for the event. She plans to have all auction baskets ready by Thursday night. We are sticking to the same themes for classrooms as last year. Need to make a request for baskets.
- Round Robin Discussion:
– There has been a “grand shuffle” of teachers and staff throughout the district for next year.
– A Connect to Kindergarten event was held with staff from WW, JP and HR.
– Dropoff procedure in the morning was discussed and sounds to be a safety concern for parents. Should the west entry be blocked off at the parking lot so vehicles cannot enter from that side?
Motion to Adjourn –Melissa. Second by Michelle.