WestWood PTC – Minutes from Nov. 4 Meeting
In attendance: Jessica Olstad, Karen Zwolenski, Clare Presly, Sarah Zieman, Dana Niemann, Jen Maloney, Brian Schulz, Alice Henry, Jaya Kokotovich
- Welcome and approval of October minutes – this did not happen, as copies weren’t made in time for the meeting. A vote did not take place. Will vote at next meeting.
- Principal update:
- Communication about a standard re-unification method was sent by Dr. Staloch to all district parents. Karen says it’s “pretty straightforward” and she’s “proud to be part of this district (that’s so) proactive.”
- WestWood enrollment is stable at this point in the year
- Treasurer report
- WestWood paid for the last of the flex seating ($3,014)
- PTC paid for the Wolf Ridge scholarships (kids go first week in December) ($1,000)
- PTC paid for magazines for classrooms ($1,454,76)
- Butter Braids income so far: $19,178. Last year, we had $22K, but more is expected to come in the next few days.
- Jessica will sign tax forms to turn in.
- Guest speaker: Jen Maloney, gifted and talented specialist for WestWood and Redtail Ridge – presenting on educational gifts for the holidays (full presentation here)
- Gifts for spatial reasoning, problem solving, pattern matching
- Gifts for logic and reasoning skills
- Gifts for processing speed, planning, setting goals, making decisions, starting tasks, etc.
- Gifts for coders
- Gifts for engineering interests
- Red Balloon as a great list for readers
- Other parting thoughts:
- Parents should think of kids’ passion
- Get a purpose behind the gift, don’t get it because it’s fun or looks cool.
- Creativity is sparked most when things get messy. Parents are encouraged to see the joy in that!
- Go outside the box of rules – give them the gift of failure
- Discussion topics:
- Volunteer opportunities needed through Sign-up Genius:
- DOGS update
- Idea came up to have a portable white board to take outside if needed – Karen is looking into this
- Dads and Donuts – looking to potentially schedule this in the spring when weather is better
- Might coordinate with high school kids to teach baseball or football or do something with sports
- Round robin
- Parent asked to consider making the WestWood PTC Facebook page a private group since it’s an open page. PTC is considering.
Motion to adjourn – Jessica
Seconded by Brian
Starting Bank Balance (9/30/2019): $16,189.00
- $176.00 Games By James (Crayola Tickets)
- $3,014.00 Premier Furniture & Equipment (Tables – part of flexible seating)
- $167.64 Clay for art classes
- $106.58 Supplies for ukulele racks built by DOGS
- $1,454.76 Scholastic magazines for classrooms
- $26.56 Office Max (File folders and postage stamps for treasurer)
- $100.00 Extra petty cash for Westwood Safe for the book fair
Total Expenses October 2019: $5,045.54
- $287.70 Wendy’s Family Night Income March-May 2019
- $94.25 Refund of overpayment for student planners
- $1,116.00 Butter Braids Sales & Donations (orders handed in early)
Total Income October 2019: $1,497.95
Current Bank Balance, 10/31/2019: $12,641.41
-Uncleared checks: $1,110.12
- $110.12 Ms Frye (5th Grade Celebration Treats)
- $1,000 Friends of Wolf Ridge (Donation to Scholarship Fund)
Final Bank Balance $11,531.29 + cash balance of $40 (School Store at Westwood)