December 2018 PTC meeting minutes

WestWood PTC December Meeting Minutes – 12/04/18, 6:30pm

 

Attendees: Jessica Olstad, Karen Zwolenski, Amy Zwart, Nichole Meyer, Stacey Sorenson, Melissa Campion, Rachel Carlson, Becky Smith, Michelle Swenson.

Approval of November Minutes:

Rachel motioned to approve, Melissa seconded. One change in budget for substitute teachers. Motion passed.

Principal Update (Karen):  

  • December: Conferences had a great turnout. The next few weeks are loaded w/activities. All is going really well overall and the teachers are doing well w/keeping things structured amidst the busy holiday time. Winter parties are planned for before winter break and will include a variety of ESTEM and other activities.  
  • Kindergarten Registration:  Kindergarten registration will begin on 01/17/19.  The registration will be online this year. There will be a district wide information meeting for those who need it, on Monday,01/07/19.  There will also be email communication and other media outlets. There will be sessions at the district for those who do not have email access, where they will have kiosks and individuals to assist for the process.  Estimated numbers for incoming classes are in the 600 range. The current average is 500-600 per class at WestWood. There will be a tour the first week of May, and in August “Great Start to Kindergarten.”
  • New lockdown procedure:  It is mandated to have 5 drills in the state of MN.  Based on research due to increased violence at schools in our country, the lockdowns were not the most effective, much of this based on the tragedy at Sandy Hook. We know now that some of the procedures were inappropriate, depending on the situation.  A video was played which will be shown to the middle and high school students, not the elementary. There has been one “shelter in place” lockdown. The doors get locked and the teachers continue to teach. The goal is to keep the kids in place and out of the hallway.  There will be another drill practiced this month, next week, which is called “lockdown with options.” The protocol will now be called “run, hide, fight.” The teachers have a script for the elementary kids for the fight component of the protocol. The question was raised regarding the parents viewing the instructional video and an email was sent with the link for the secondary level.  There were many questions/concerns raised and Mrs. Zwolenski assured us that the procedures are in place and there is a solid plan to keep all the children safe. All the PTCs in the district had this on their agendas as well. There is cell phone access and phones in every room. There are walkie talkies in the building but not everyone always has access to the PA system. There was a suggestion to tell parents when we have the lockdown drill. Where the children should run was also questioned/discussed.  Jessica will post content to the PTC Facebook page. We discussed what procedures we may need to have in place during the times when we have activities at school during non-school hours. Mrs. Zwolenski pointed out that we have access to the office and directions for if we did have to make an announcement.

The email was sent from Mrs. Zwolenski on 11/08/18 to describe the new lockdown drill.

Treasurer Report/Budget Update (Amy):

  • Current balance – See budget detail.  There were some spent on pie in the face and duct tape for Read A Thon.  
  • Review/approve budget – See budget detail.  The items in blue should be done at this point.  Amy wanted to highlight what is “left in the budget.” Things are currently looking good. The conference dinners provided feedback that it was difficult to stay within budget. We will need to discuss the microscopes and flexible seating.  Kindergarten also used some field trip money for Dakota Village and we also provide funds for Wolf Ridge.
  • RAT: Waiting on get movin crew money, see details/summary below.  
  • Others: Movie ticket check came in and waiting on the restaurant. We have launched the Jostens store, and it is also pinned to the top of the Facebook page.  Jess will message Kirsten to put a message on SeeSaw. T-shirts are done now through Fee Pay. Jess will give Amy the details on the numbers from the T-shirts.

Discussion topics (Jessica) :

Read A Thon:  Thank you to Melissa, Stacey, Erika, and Alexa as well for all the assistance.  Next steps for purchasing the microscopes and flexible seating. We can likely go ahead and purchase the microscopes.  We need to research the flexible seating. We can likely divide what is left from the purchase and divide it by classroom.  Glendale did the same and there was a recommended list of items. Red Tail Ridge also has some seating options. Karen will discuss w/teachers some of the seating option likely at the next staff meeting. We will focus on the classrooms for now.  Next steps we will get the microscopes and see what money we have left over. Amy will work with Ms. Tindal and Beverley.

The Read A Thon pizza party will be in the next two weeks as well.  There will need to be a note sent home to the parents regarding who will be getting pizza due to potential food allergies. Jessica has the list of the kids who made $150 and above.  If kids can’t have that type of pizza they will need to get school pizza.

T-shirt updates:  We are done and there are extra.  If we need to switch out we can or we will perhaps sell them at Family Fun Night.  We can discount the older t-shirts as well.

Family Fun Night :  This will be on 02/22/19. We have Brooke L working on food. She is already soliciting donations.  Jess will do games as she did them last year. Becky will assist as well. Becky suggested D.O.G.S to assist us. We need to double check on other schools activities to be sure we don’t need to get the games back to the school the following day. We will have Brian reach out to other D.O.G.S. to help us get the bigger games as well.

Silent auction – Michelle Swenson joined our meeting tonight, she will be taking over the silent auction.  We need a sign up sheet for those interested in family fun night. She has names of past volunteers and wants to know who she is able to reach out to.  There is an updated list. Plan to get together and decide on needs to send out an email. There will need to be more people to assist w/the check out portion of the evening, also those who will communicate to the winners.  

The question was raised regarding whether or not alcohol based gift certificates allowed? It was determined this is appropriate as they are gift certificates. Michelle will email some of the local businesses for silent auction.  Valleyfair was attempted however we need to see if we have it, as it is only given out once per year.

Wrap up:

ACTION ITEMS:  

 

  • Amy will plan to connect with Beverley and Ms. Tindal to order microscopes. Mrs. Zwolenski will discuss the flexible seating options at the next staff meeting
  • Jess will coordinate the Family Fun Night Kick off meeting
  • Michelle will reach out to those interested in helping w/the Silent Auction

 

 

  • Next meeting is Tuesday, 01/08/19 @ 6:30 pm, WestWood Media Center
  • Jess motioned to adjourn, Rachel seconded.  Motion passed.

 

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s